Friday, June 26, 2009

growing up

im just recovering from a mild case of viral colds (and no, im not an AH1N1 case). ive spent my two days this week at home, in bed....alone.

my aunt's family is away on vacation in manila and i was left alone for a few days, literally fending for myself in everything. i guess when i moved in with them a few months back, i didnt realize the little luxuries i get to experience with them being around.

the daily sandwiches are a goner (i did attempt to prepare at night so i can have something to eat for breakfast at work the next morning...pales in comparison with my aunt's gourmet ones though), the usual hugs from my young cousin whenever i arrive from work (even though with her built and strength, those hugs usually give me breathing difficulties), the chit-chat around the dining table (which i compensated by eating in front of the television, with the voices of julius babao and karen davila keeping me company at night) and the many little nothings, musings and laughter around the two-room flat.

it was indeed lonely.

i tried cheering myself up the first few days they were gone (which are the days that im still healthy and well) by watching a lot of cable tv. i rarely get to do that when they're around since they follow a lot of telenovelas in TFC. i cant really go channel surfing when they hang onto every word that Gerald Anderson and Kim Chiu utters.

and sometimes, it does cheer me up. makes my time pass by more quickly rather than walking around an empty house, thinking of what to do next.

which is exactly what kept running in my mind the whole time i was sick in bed. i cant necessarily park my sickly body at the living room to be in front of the television. that would be 1) uncomfortable and 2) possibly contagious when they arrive, since it's a common area.

with a throat very sore and a nose very congested, i survived eating cereals just so i can drink my medicines on time. i hauled myself to go down to the community clinic to have myself checked and relief washed over me when they checked my temperature and it was normal.

i parked a pitcher of lukewarm boiled water near my bedside and sliced some lemons in it so i can still have my dosage of vitamin c in the process.

my parents were alternately calling me, asking if im okay and reminding me to keep on track with my pill-popping. talking to my boyfriend on the phone too proved a challenge to my swollen throat but hearing all their voices put a certain calmness to my alarmed state.

my mind kept dozing on and off, waiting for the hours when my aunt's family finally arrived home.

and now, here i am. writing this post here in my office desk, with a box of tissue paper sitting close by. ive still got the running nose and i can still feel the mild pain in my throat. my nose is starting to feel like paper from all the wiping and my throat seemed to have a swallowed a pearl that got stuck somewhere. oh, and my voice sounded like a man hehe...

but im better than when it started.

its uncanny how yet again, the good Lord has taught me how to grow up. how to be strong in times of adversity. how to be the strong Lean he made me to be.

in every sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment