Tuesday, May 26, 2009

switching gears


"why am i here?"

i found myself asking that every so often when im feeling crappy about everything thats around me---from my public commuting, my morning meetings, my none-breakfast, my even more-than-none lunch and so on...

im here now in singapore.

have been here for more than a year and have felt so many things---relief, peace, happiness, loneliness, regret...but nonetheless comfortably numb about things that i can no longer change...at the moment..

i came here december of 2007 and spent my first holidays away from my family..spent the holidays for the first time in a foreign country without the warmth and comfort of noche buena or the morning's christmas mass...

but back then, that was just what i wanted...being here made me feel so free...the freedom ive wanted to feel, i definitely got...

it was a drastic change of lifestyle for someone who is so used to the luxury of manila living...i learned to take the bus and the train by myself, do groceries, cook, iron clothes (which is a sport in itself by the way), do laundry...everything basically by myself...

yes, i became a stepford wife in this urban jungle...

i went here to escape...and that was one of the best decisions i did because ive learned so much about myself and what i can do...for someone who was sheltered in her entire life, i am now living a life of an independent woman...

No comments:

Post a Comment